Introduction to Computer Components and Peripherals-: A computer consists of several physical components and each physical component is designated to perform one of the operations discussed in the previous section. These physical components of a computer are called hardware. The computer hardware device can be attached internally or externally to the computer. Devices connected internal are called the primary components and connected external are called peripherals.
Primary Components of Computer-: Which devices that are attached internally to the computer are called primary components. We can say that the primary component are attached to each other. These are the motherboard,processor,cpu etc. The list has been give here.
1. Motherboard :-It is the main board that accommodated processor slot, Chipset, Front side bus Controller Bus, RAM Slots, Extension slots (PCI), Controllers & Connector, Audio processing Circuitry and connectors for Speakers & Microphone, Parallel port printer connection, Serial port for date communication etc…
2. Processor :It is the brain f the computer. Data processing and execution of the task is performed in it. There are many processor are available in the market for example duel core, Intel 3, lintel 4,intel 5,intel 6,…..etc. This processor was launched by the Intel corporation. T
3. CPU Heat sink and Fan : Heat sink and Fan is placed on the top of the processor to maintain the temperature at pre-defined level. The speed of fan can e controlled based on the heat generated by the processor.
4. RAM -RAM full name of Random Access Memory. RAM is a Semiconductor Memory used as a temporary storage supporting the processor. CPU retrieves the raw data from RAM and pushes the Processed Data to it. RAM are available in the market 2 GB,4 GB, 6 GB, etc.
6. Floppy Disk Drive-: Floppy is Used to read, write disks. We can store data in floppy. We can store data in floppy in 1.44 MB. This is a small unit.
7. Optical Drive – Optical drives are used to read/write (Depends on Drive) data from the optical media called CDROM, DVD ROMs. These Optical media can store hug amount of data ranging form 700 MB to 4.5 GB compared to Floppy disk capacity of 1.44 MB. Some of the advantage Are data portability and data retention.
8. SMPS -: SMPS full name Switch Mode Power Supply. It converts the AC input into DC output. The output voltages are constant irrespective of the input Voltage. The DC out of the SMPS will be fed to various components of computer.
9. Cards Add on cards – Modem, Network cards, PCI Express card etc. Add on cards are used to expand the computer functionalities. These are attached to the PCI Slots available on the motherboard. These are used based on requirement.
Modem card:- Enables the computer to connect to the Internet
Network card:- Enables the computer to connect to the Local Network.