Introduction -: DBMS means database management system. DBMS is a specialized computer application to a central component of computing environment. DBMS play a vital role in organizing data about a particular enterprise.
Example- A company store the data his employees (Employee name,number,address,salary etc.)
Departments no, name location, project name,number etc. These are related to each others. as like
An employee work in a department.
An employee works on many project.
An departments handle many project.
Therefore a system is needed which can effectively organized the data and also use it.
In other words we can say that A database management system (DBMS) is system software for creating and managing databases. The DBMS provides users and programmers with a systematic way to create, retrieve, update and manage data.
Concept of DBMS- DBMS consists of two components.
- Database means collection of data
- System means set of programme which are used to access and manage the data
Concept of data and database-:
Data- The data is a Latin word it means “to give”. Thus data are given facts from which additional facts can be inferred. Data are facts undoubted information used for different computation or calculation. For example the facts related to an employees and his companies as a employees number, employees name these are the data.
If we ask some question what is employee no. of employees whose salary is more than 10000 ?
When we give this question answer this called information.
Database-: A database is a collection of interrelated data which represent some aspects of real word. Database has some inherent meaning and is related to a particular group of user or application. As like college database may contain of student records,faculty records etc.
Definition of DBMS-: A database management system (DBMS) is system is essentially collection of interrelated data and set of programme to access the data. This collection of data called the database.
in DBMS data involve –
- Defining the structure for a storage data
- providing the mechanisms for the security of data against unauthorised access
DBMS providing the following facility to the user
- Adding empty file into database
- Inserting new data into the existing file
- Retrieving data from the files.
- Updating data in the files.
- Deleting data from the files
- Removing existing file from database.
Therefore DBMS can be used for different purpose besides data storage which are as ..
- Efficient access to data
- For avoiding data redundancy and inconsistency
- providing security for data
- access providing from multiple user